Fiction Is My Reality.
It may interest you to know that this idea was the very prompt I needed to create this blog. I decided to use this 30 Day Challenge ‘Freebie’, as it were, to give you all a taste of what goes on in my mind, and what the future of my blog will likely relate to!
In a loose, roundabout way, at least. 😛
Whenever I care to stop and think about it, I can’t help realising that during an average day I seem to slip into the World of Fiction a lot. So many of the important parts of my ‘real life’ are somehow twisted, infused with fiction.
For example, while…
- Breakfast: I often read fanfiction updates that have littered my email inbox.
- Walking to uni/town: Either I’m listening to music, or (more often) daydreaming about my favourite fictional characters.
- Bored during a lecture: Daydreaming, again…
- Lunch: Either watch a short episode of a TV show, read a chapter of a book I’m currently reading, or more fanfiction perusing.
- Gaps between lectures: As a compromise for not doing *real* study, I read the novel that we’re currently studying in my English course.
- Dinner: Always seem to watch an episode of a TV show, or a movie if I’ve the time.
- Evenings: If I’m caught up on my assignments (or even if I’m not… *cough*), I often do any number of things that I’ve mentioned already – or, if I’m feeling in the mood, I’ll write a fictional-something myself.
I suppose that it doesn’t seem remarkably strange, or out of the ordinary. After all, it’s just a part of my daily routine. But when I got to thinking about all of this… a startling question occured to me.
Do I enjoy the time I spend in the World of Fiction more than the time I spend actually “living my life” in Reality?
A near frightening thought.
What if I was escaping my life by living in all of these fictional realms?
But… I don’t think this is the case. I mean… I don’t hate my life, so it’s not like I actively want to escape it. And yet at the same time – I do enjoy engaging with all of these types of fiction. I love watching my favourite TV shows, reading fanfiction, reading books, watching movies. Obviously. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be engaging with them.
To be perfectly honest, sometimes it does feel like the highlight of my day is an episode of Sherlock, or whatever. Perhaps I’ve just had a bad day, or a boring day. But I don’t think this is the crux of the issue.
I don’t think that my need for fiction has anything to do with how much I like my life, my reality.
I think that it has everything to do with the fact that there’s something special about fiction. Something that captivates me, that draws me in. Makes me stop and stare in absolute wonder.
I can’t help that I get obsessive about fictional characters, or am forever off daydreaming in my own, fictional world. It’s just the way my mind works. And I wouldn’t have it any other way! I love it. 🙂
I live my life through fiction.
Somehow, I don’t think I’m alone on this. So crawl out from under those blankets – I know it’s warm! – and tell me your thoughts about it. It might prove to be a fun topic to delve into – and I’m sure it will help me understand it more myself! I have by no means provided a lengthy exploration here… there’s always something more to think about.
Leave a comment. Start the fictional ball rolling.
Hope you all enjoyed my first ‘proper’ blog post! 😉